April 3, 2023

Fenning’s Fairy

         Welcome to the April A to Z Blog Challenge 2023!  My theme this year is Block Printed Alphabet Squared, an alphabet of alphabets illustrated with relief block prints.  Find out all about the A to Z Blog Challenge here, and be sure to follow along with us all month.

        Today’s first alphabet is called Fairy ABC, and it features characters from folk and fairy tales.   Each illustration consists of a large and elaborately decorated capital letter, with the character or characters working around it.  These wood block printed illustrations are hand-colored, and the use of so many different colors - and actually neatly done - marks this as a relatively fancy production.  F is the Fisherman who brought up a genie’s bottle in his net.  My favorite from this alphabet is C for Cinderella - and her Fairy Godmother.  You can also see the A for Aladdin (from another copy of the same little book) in the title illustration from my Theme Reveal post.
        Another F alphabet also uses the letter itself as part of the picture, but in this case the characters have to stretch and contort considerably more in order to fit the shape, making it almost more of a font.  In Fenning’s Spelling Book, F is for Fan, and the strange little person stands next to a fan while posing in the shape of the letter.  In B for Boat, the boat is incorporated into the bottom of the B, and in J for Jar the little person has to be quite an acrobat.  These wood block prints are quite crude, but are so whimsical that they make me smile.
        A bonus alphabet is the animal font by Antonio Frasconi (Uruguay/USA, 1919-2013).  These wood cut prints, too, are rough and stylized, but being modern art, they’re that way on purpose.  I’ve previously posted B, D, J, R, and Y.  Plus the C (Cat) is another part of the title collection in the Theme Reveal Post, the Z will appear in due course, and if you keep your eyes open you’re sure to spot one more from this alphabet as one of the letter
icons to come.  Frasconi’s F is for Fox, and I’ve chosen U for Unicorn as my favorite, which is more detailed than some of the others.  (How appropriate that here in F we’re finding so much fantasy!)
     Finally, there’s the wood block alphabet by C.B. Falls (USA, 1874-1960), for whom F is also Fox.  I shared that F before, as well as M, N, S, U (also for Unicorn), W, X, Y, and Z.  So today I’ll give you the Elephant from E.
        The moral of F is to keep your eyes open for wonders everywhere.  You never know when you might fish up a genie or glimpse a unicorn.
        And also, if you want to be flexible enough to pose as the alphabet, you’d better start stretching now.
        So, what’s your favorite folk or fairy tale?


[Pictures: Fisherman, Cinderella, hand-colored wood block prints from Fairy
 ABC, 1860 (Images from Toronto Public Library);
Fan, Boat, Jar, wood block prints from Fenning’s Spelling Book, 1846 (Images from Toronto Public Library);
Fox, Unicorn, wood block prints from Antonio Frasconi from Bestiary, 1965 (Image from AbeBooks);
Elephant, wood block print by C.B. Falls from ABC Book, 1923.]

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I like the E is for elephoant. It looks like it should be a stamp. My mind is a blank on folk and fairy tales right now.
https://findingeliza.com

Mrs Fever said...

I like the F in the top illustration, with the lock on the second fret. I wonder why the artist chose to allude to a door?

Melanie Atherton Allen said...

I love the Fairy ABC; really pretty. And the contorted letter-people are an interesting choice. X is easy for a person-font; I have questions about lots of other letters, though. W?

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Kristin, an alphabet would be a fun set of stamps!
Mrs Fever, I hadn't noticed the lock shape on the F. I don't know whether it's meant to be significant or just decorative.
Melanie, you can go see all the letters at the link in the credits! ;D

Donna B. McNicol said...

I liked all of these!


My A to Z Blogs
DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

Ria said...

Thrilled to have been introduced to the world of blocks and block alphabets. I had to read through some of your earlier posts. And yes, I agree with your brother's disclaimer! :)

~Ria

Deborah Weber said...

I really love Fenning’s Spelling Book, with F being my favorite. This is such a fun series Anne!

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Ria, I'm glad you enjoyed the disclaimer - I didn't think anyone ever actually really read the small print! ;)
Deborah, I'm not surprised that you like the ones that suggest The Fool.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I liked the fairy tale inspired blocks. My favourite fairy tale? Mm... Probably 'Beauty and the Beast'.

Ronel visiting for F:
My Languishing TBR: F
Fiery Farralis