April 20, 2023

See-Paynton Smith Semaphore

         Welcome to the April A to Z Blog Challenge!  My theme this year is Block Printed Alphabet Squared, an alphabet of alphabets illustrated with relief block prints, which are something everyone should spend more time enjoying.  Join the A to Z crew here.
        Today’s first alphabet artist is Colin See-Paynton.  He’s done an amazing alphabet of birds, but in a cool twist, it isn’t the birds that are assigned by letter.  Instead, each letter of the alphabet 
stands for the collective n
oun for each species of bird.  (If you don’t know about collective nouns, here’s a prior post on them.  Plus, in case you’re missing the fantasy and folklore of past years, here’s a post on collective nouns for mythological creatures.)  Thus S is for a Sedge of Bitterns.  See-Paynton’s work is huge by wood engraving standards, and incredibly detailed, so I could have picked a number of favorites, but I’ve exercised admirable self-control and selected C for a Covert of Coots.  I especially love the way the water is transparent, allowing us to see coot feet and fish below, as well as sparkles in the depths, and dragonflies up above.
        Next I have two alphabets by Caroline Nuttall Smith.  One is all cars and motorcycles, and S is for Sunbeam.  I’ve chosen J for Jaguar as a second letter to share, because I like its style!  Smith likes putting words in her linoleum block prints, and she obviously really loves vehicles, too.  
While her second alphabet doesn’t have a theme, no fewer than 8 of the letters are represented by modes of transportation - and that’s not even counting S for Shoes!  I give you T for Tugboat as my favorite.  You can also see her Queen back
 at Q, and there will be one more at the end.
        Today’s final alphabet is so different that I wanted to share it even though it’s quite incomplete.  A Semaphore Alphabet by Lynn Hatzius consists of odd linocuts depicting puppet-like figures that have the head of something starting with each letter, and arms approximating the semaphore position for each letter.  A is therefore an Angel making the semaphore sign for A.  I found the S picture used as an illustration for a completely
 different book by Hatzius, but I’m pretty sure it must be reused from this alphabet.  So, S is for Squirrel, and its arms are in the correct semaphore position for S.  You’ll get a chance to see one more of these funny figures at the grand finale.
        Today’s moral is to remember that body language can be as eloquent as words written with letters.
        And also, slow and steady wins the race - at least if it’s a steeplechase, but probably not if its a sprint.
        So, what’s your favorite mode of transportation?


[Pictures: Sedge, Covert, wood engravings by Colin See-Paynton (Images from See-Paynton.co.uk);
Sunbeam, Jaguar, Shoes, Tugboat, linocuts by Caroline Nuttal Smith, c. 2017 (Images from Etsy shop cnuttalsmith);
Angel, Squirrel, linocuts by Lynn Hatzius from A Semaphore Alphabet, 2002 (Images from Books on Books and lynnhatzius.com).]

7 comments:

Kristin said...

I like the lino cuts! And my favorite means of transportation depends on my destination.
The semaphore cuts are weird :)

Deborah Weber said...

The Hatzius letters might be my favorite of all those you've shown us so far. Clever, clever, clever. I'm pretty sure a hot air balloon is my favorite mode of transportation, although, in fact, I've never been one. I just know, though.

Frewin55 said...

I really liked all these alphabets and I love lino prints. I did do some at school, but later became a silk-screen artist briefly, which I love because it can range from the strength of the 1968 French student posters to the subtlety of watercolour, my first love. I would love to have a go ay lino again but life is so short...
I am particularly pleased with my post today, which took a lot of writing and tackles one of the hot topics of today - Robots and AI...
https://how-would-you-know.com/2023/04/r-robot-robota-czech-for-forced-labour-foreign-words-appropriated-rule-of-thumb.html

Donna B. McNicol said...

Wow, what a variety of styles today!

Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

That Jaguar print is awesome.

Ronel visiting for S:
My Languishing TBR: S
Speedy Steeds

Melanie Atherton Allen said...

Love the coots! And yes, it is great that you can see the fish, too. As a person with a fish-pond myself (a very small one!), I am always attracted to things that show the things happening underneath the water.

If I could have a Jaguar, styled in that classic way shown above, I would be a slightly happier person. Actually, I probably wouldn't, because the nice thing about the car I have now is, I don't care much if it gets scratched. I don't actually think I would have the emotional energy to withstand caring about my paintwork, and with a Jag, I would. So, really, it is better that I don't have one. In many ways.

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Kristin, you're so practical. Of course the mode of transportation should be decided based on the destination. But some are more enjoyable nevertheless. =)

Deborah, I've never been in a hot air balloon, either, but my parents had a ride and found it really magical.

Come on, Frewin55, you've got time for a lino block or two! Give it a go!

Melanie, I really love having nice things, but I also really believe that there's no point in having things that stress you out too much to use. And sometimes those two perspectives can come into conflict. And besides, a Jaguar is a wee bit above my price range for frivolity!