September 1, 2015

Grist for the Mill

     Here’s the newest print, finally finished after taking the better part of three shows to carve.  I have no idea how many hours I actually spent on the carving, but obviously it must have been quite a few!  This is the Jenney Grist Mill in Plymouth, MA.  I used a photo I took there for reference, and this was a pretty complicated image to convert into black and white.  I’m pretty pleased with my choices on simplifying some things, but keeping lots of fine detail in other places.  I’m also well satisfied with how I used a variety of textures to indicate a variety of tones, and even some areas of shading.
        I like the contrast of the big round wheel with the rectangles and triangles of the buildings, and the contrast of the roiling water with the straight lines of the boards and railings.  Who could resist the scenic wonder of a waterwheel?

[Picture: Grist Mill, rubber block print by AEGN, 2015.]

No comments: