October 14, 2024

Working

         I’m afraid I’ve been too busy to write blog posts, so here’s an amazing wood block print of people working even harder than I am.  Or at least some of them are, although a few of them seem to be standing around aimlessly!  This is by Leopoldo Méndez (Mexico, 1902-1969).  I love the way the top edge of the wall forms a series of panels so that we can see almost cubist views of different perspectives on the work.  It could even be a sort of graphic novel series.  The long, tall format is also unusual.

        So here’s the work I’m up to in the next couple of months, having already kicked off my autumn art season with a show a week ago:

• This weekend, Oct. 19-20 - Roslindale Open Studios.  Always one of my biggest shows!  I’ll be at The Substation, and you can find details about where to find me and the 100+ other artists at ROS.  (Info here.)

• Wednesdays through Oct. 30 - teaching block printmaking through Needham Community Education.

• Nov. 8 - teaching a block printmaking workshop with Wellesley Council on Aging (I think the November flier isn't out yet, but it will be here.)

• Nov. 9 - Needham Open Studios Fall Pop-Up
.  First Parish Hall in Needham, 10:00-4:30.  A sampling of Needham Open Studios artists in one location for your convenience and delight.  (Info here.)

• Nov. 22-24 - Philcon Sci Fi/Fantasy Convention.  I’ll be doing my usual con thing: an exhibit in the art show, participating on panels about writing, giving a reading, and even having a book signing!  (Info here.)

• Dec. 7 - Arts Wayland Holiday Sale.  Wayland High School Commons (Info here.)

• Dec. 8 - Newton Holiday Craft Fair.  Newton South High School (Info here.)

• Dec. 14 - Strong Women-Strange Worlds Year-End Holiday Extravaganza.  Free, on-line, available to anyone in the world via Zoom.  Bookish fun for all!  (Details aren’t posted yet, but watch this space.)

        So with all that, I’ve been busy busy busy with matting, framing, designing new blocks to carve, and prepping for classes, finalizing my new book to be shipped out for Kickstarter, plus the usual round of submissions (but not much writing for the past few weeks), and of course all the work for all the other Activities in my life…  So there may not be a lot of spare bandwidth to dedicate to this poor blog for a bit.  But I hope to continue to share the occasional wonderful block prints to keep you satisfied -- and stay tuned for some more cool news before too long!


[Picture: The Workers, wood block print by Leopoldo Méndez, 1932 (Image from The Loeb Museum at Vassar);

Little views of my rubber block prints A Tree Made of Night, Autumn Fairy (Oaky Nutkin), and Penguin of Peace, by AEGNydam.]


No comments: