July 12, 2010

Printsy Interview

        Back at the end of February I started up an Etsy shop (NydamPrints.)  I’m afraid I really haven’t done much with it, but a couple of months later I came across the Printsy team on Etsy, and signed up.  See, I find being an artist to be a pretty solitary occupation, and working in block prints seems to be doubly so.  The only time I get to mingle much with other artists is during receptions for Open Studio shows.  (During the shows themselves I’m manning my space, and all the other artists are manning theirs.)  Moreover, I’m almost always the only artist doing relief prints.  Even in Open Studio shows with large numbers of participating artists I’m still usually the only one doing block prints.  So it was pretty cool to find a whole group of printmakers whose work I could check out at the click of a button.  Of course, the printmakers of Printsy are quite a diverse group, but there are still a lot doing relief block prints of various sorts, and it’s an education and inspiration to see what they’ve done.
        The Printsy team has a blog in which they’ve been running a series of interviews with members, giving us a chance to learn even more about the different techniques and inspirations of this group of artists.  I’m delighted to be the printmaker featured this week.
        Please go to the Printsy blog to read my interview here.
        (Many thanks to Amie Roman of Burnishings for organizing the series of interviews, and to Diane Podolsky of AnniePod Pressworks for taking over.)
        As for Etsy, I admit I still have yet to make a sale there.  I’m not sure I’m up to the sort of marketing that seems to be required to get noticed on Etsy!  But so far it’s been an interesting experiment, so we’ll see what happens.  In the meantime, I’m pleased to be listed among the printmakers of Printsy.

[Picture: Still Life II, rubber block print by AEGN, 2009 (sold out).]

No comments: