December 2, 2020

Holiday Shopping

         This time last year I was busily matting, and framing, and making up extra packets of notecards.  Usually in early December I’m smack in the middle of a whole series of shows and sales.  But of course this year is different.  Most of my usual shows have been cancelled, and those that aren’t cancelled have gone on-line, which is not even remotely the same.  For one thing, seeing art in person is just different; you get a better sense of its size, texture, presence.  It’s more likely to grab you and charm you.  And you can buy it on the spot and walk away with it, ready to wrap for giving or hang for your own enjoyment.  Perhaps even more importantly, in-person shows have a buzz.  There are lots of artists and lots of art-viewers.  Everyone’s out and about with the shared holiday spirit of enjoying art and looking for delight.  It’s a lot more exciting than sitting in your house staring at a screen for the tenth straight hour… even if art is more fun to stare at on the screen than yet another zoom meeting.
        On the other hand, the down-side of in-person shows is that you can be in only one place at a time.  There are a number of holiday shows that friends have recommended to me, but I’ve never participated in because they’re the same weekends as other shows I already participate in.  But on-line I can be in lots of places at once, so this year I’ve joined in the virtual versions of a couple of shows I’ve never done before.  Altogether I’m participating in three shows that are all on-going for the entire month.
        Church of the Redeemer Christmas Market - This is a fund-raiser for the church, to whom I will donate a percentage of my sales.  This is not my faith community, but it is the church where my sister-in-law sings in the choir, and we always go to their Christmas Eve service to enjoy the beautiful music and ceremony.  There are a variety of artists participating, but also other fancy businesses with everything from food to fashion.  Find the participating vendors here.
        Medfield Holiday Stroll - In addition to the listings of participating artists, Medfield TV is hosting a gala event on December 4 from 6-8pm, featuring music, Christmas tree lighting, and videos of artists in their studios.  A couple of very nice, professional young women came out to film me earlier this year, and I’m excited to see what they do with the video.  (I’ll probably cringe hideously to see and hear myself, but hopefully it won’t be too embarrassing!)  There’s a nice variety of arts and crafts in Medfield’s line-up, for some excellent gift-shopping possibilities.  See the artists here, as well as a link to view the live broadcast on-line this weekend.
        Gallery Twist “Illumination” - This is the gallery’s annual December show, staged in their beautiful historic building in the center of Lexington.  They can’t hold their usual gala opening reception, of course, but unlike the other shows, the gallery is actually open for in-person visits this month, as long as groups are small and masked.  I do highly recommend it; it’s really fun to see the beautiful and quirky way they’ve arranged the gorgeous and eclectic variety of work.  In addition, they have on-line 360° tours and videos, plus the listings of all the art in the show.  Find all the viewing options and information here.
        My web site - Finally, don’t forget that you can see all my available work on my own web site, and it is easy to purchase directly from me.  Just contact me, whether you want to see some of my pieces in person, or arrange a completely contactless sale.  I’m also happy to answer any questions, of course, so please do let me know.  Visit my web site here.  And you don’t even have to be in eastern Massachusetts to enjoy all my shows this year!
        It’s certainly easier just to do all your holiday shopping on amazon and be done with it, but your purchases mean a lot more to small-time local artists (even on a normal year, but especially in a year when all our shows are cancelled).  Moreover, unique, original, hand-made gifts will mean a lot more to all your beloved friends and family!  Check us out and see what just might be the perfect gifts for ending a far-from-perfect year with a spirit of beauty and joy.


[Pictures: Covid-themed art at Gallery Twist, including All in This Together by AEGN, 2020;

Gallery Twist “Illumination” show, including Pinwheels by AEGN, 2020.]

No comments: