March 25, 2019

F is for Fur-Bearing Trout

        My theme for this year’s April A-Z Blog Challenge is fantastical creatures, celebrating my upcoming book, On the Virtues of Beasts of the Realms of Imagination, which will be released by the end of the year.  There is a ton more information about it at my Kickstarter Campaign for the project.

        “The fur-bearing trout dwells in the coldest rivers, lakes, and mountain streams of North America, where it grows a thick wool fleece to insulate it from the icy water.  The people of Minnesota attempt to catch these fish in matching pairs so that they can make the fishfurs into mittens or slippers.  The species endemic to Vermont, however, loses its fur instantly upon being taken from the water into the air, much to the chagrin of curious anglers.  Anglers cannot be blamed for curiosity, for a wooly fish may indeed seem strange, but what could be more reasonable than a warm coat for protection from the cold?”

        And from the end notes: “The fur-bearing trout is in the family of Fearsome Critters, creatures of which tall tales were told by the lumberjacks and outdoorsmen of the United States frontier.  Similar species have been attested in Canada and Iceland, and all these fish are said to grow their coat of thick fur because the waters where they live are so cold.  Generally they have their origins as hoaxes and jokes.”

        But the alphabet of mythical creatures doesn’t stop there.  The other creature representing F in my book will be the fairy.  Which fantasy creature makes you happier, fairy or fur-bearing trout?
Plus you can click this link to read 


[Picture: Fur-Bearing Trout, rubber block print on watercolor by AEGN, 2019 (sold out).]

7 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I don't know if I would like mittens made of fur-bearing trout ;)) I guess I prefer fairies (Not in mittens either!)

Geoff Maritz said...

I must admit the thought of a fur fish sounds intriguing. An interesting story, perfect for children's stories.
Blessings to Anne for her enjoyable blog, Geoff.

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

I love the furry trout!! :D

The Multicolored Diary

Donna Smith said...

Definitely the trout. Does it have a horn on its head? I imagine fishermen would like that also...maybe to bring home to their children as a whistle. But How is the horn useful to the trout? Is that more of your story?
Did you make these woodblocks? Guess I should go back to A and read more.

Anne E.G. Nydam said...

Frédérique, I agree that fairies would not make good mittens. I draw the line at wearing (or eating) anything humanoid! But I think the fishfur would be both warm and waterproof, perfect for mittens.

Donna, I have imagined it with horns like a sheep, because I thought they would make the fur feel more at home. You're right that there are probably lots of useful things humans could do with the horns, which would be a nice, handy small size. I think perhaps the trout use their horns as rams do, to clash over mates and territory, but maybe that's too boring -- I'll have to do some more research. =)

Deborah Weber said...

I'll go with fairies. I confess a fur-covered trout kind of creeps me out, although I do love your print.

Anonymous said...

Good day! I simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for your great info you have got here on this post.
I will be returning to your blog for more
soon.